Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Got It This Time...Kinda

Ok, so this year the cake had the right name on it, but the story to go with it was much funnier. I called last Wednesday to order a cake for Brittnee, my student I mentioned below. When I called, the guy who answered the phone noticed my name on the caller id and said, "Are you Jess Hill?" When I told him that I was Jessica, he said, "I talked to your husband earlier." Well, I immediately realized that Lee had called earlier and was planning to surprise me by getting an ice cream cake. Since Lee was sitting right next to me, I played dumb and went ahead and ordered the cake I needed. I left to eat with some friends and called my parents as soon as I got in the car and told my dad the whole story. I was soooo mad. I mean, no one loves surprises more than me, and, more than anything, I knew that Lee had gone to a lot of trouble, and I didn't want him to find out that the guy had exposed his secret. So I just went on about my week. Fast forward to Friday. Lee and I were getting ready to leave, and he MADE me open the gift from my mom. He was so insistent about it. There were three gifts inside the box and one said "Open first." It was Happy Birthday plates and napkins with gift cards to Bruster's for an ice cream cake. As excited as I was, I felt bad for Lee again because I was thinking about all the thought he had put into getting his own cake. He was being such a good sport and insisted that we pick the cake up on the way to Alyssa and Sam's. I called my mom on the way to tell her thank you. I got out of the car and walked up to the window with Lee to pick up the cake, and Lee just started laughing. The cake was from my mom the whole time! Lee just called and put in the order for her. So when I called my parents to tell t hem about the guy at Bruster's ruining Lee's surprise, I was actually ruining their surprise! It was and still is hilarious!

PS - The guy was so nice. He gave us the cake for free and let me keep the gift cards. I had the option of getting cash for them, but I figure I'll have a better chance of getting Lee to go get ice cream with gift cards!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute story, Jess!

Hillary Jordan said...

That's hilarious.. I love it!fashion

Roxanne said...

I love your ice cream cake story-too hillarious- You have such a sweet husband! Happy Birthday!